On Tuesday 26th January, topclick held its first event of the year at the Lightbox, Woking, with special guests Caprice Bourret and Shane Cahill from Google.
It was a great turn out, the room was packed even before registration started at 9.30. Caprice did a motivational talk about her life and how she became a successful entrepreneur; the audience were captivated and there was a buzz of positivity and excitement!
In the words of Caprice, ‘if you throw enough s**t at the wall eventually it will stick’. The bottom line is, it’s never too late to start a business and do something that really makes you happy. People tend to worry that it may be too late, however, Caprice proves anyone can achieve anything.
Caprice’s guide to making business work:
- Customer Service – You need to make the customer feel special and go out of your way to ensure they have the best possible service.
- Invest in a good team – The people you employ aren’t just your employees they’re your team, so invest in a good one. ‘One bad egg will ruin the team’.
- Passion – You need to have passion to drive your business forward. ‘To be an entrepreneur is tough, you’ve got to love what you do’.
- Cash Flow – Be realistic, if you have stock which isn’t selling then put up a promotion, use social media, you may have to break margins, however, you need to sell!
It was a refreshing insight into business, in this industry everyone faces ups and downs. Caprice proves nothing can ever get in the way of your achievements, you react and work your butt off!
After some refreshments and a quick break, Shane Cahill from Google spoke about search marketing. We explored the importance of mobile-friendly websites. 2015 was the year of the mobile (and mobilegeddon!), for the first time mobile searches over took that of desktop searches, and this is only set to increase. A lot of people still aren’t utilising mobile to bring in more sales. If your site isn’t mobile friendly you lose out on a lot of business!
Other highlights of Shane’s talk included:
- Google Analytics and how it can analyse the demographics of your audience. Knowing your target audience is key, you can market your business better and increase your sales. Watch this space for topclick’s next event – a Google Analytics training workshop.
- Increase of videos – 86% of the UK’s online population watch videos. This is a great tool to market your business and products, whether it’s testimonials from real customers or a ‘how to’ use your product.
There was a buffet lunch served at 12.30 and then everyone got a chance to network.
topclick would like to say thank you to everyone who attended the event and also a big thank you to Caprice Bourret and Shane Cahill for sharing their knowledge and experience with us.